ServiceMaster Fire & Water Clean Up Services

844.805.1107
24-hour Emergency

ServiceMaster Fire & Water Clean Up Services | News

Demystifying Mold: Three Reasons Why the Mold in Your Lancaster, PA Home is a Health Risk

February 5th, 2016 · No Comments

Mold is inevitable. No matter what you do or where you live, from Lancaster, Pennsylvania to Japan, at some point mold will affect you. It may come atop cheeses, fruits or forgotten stews, over-watered plants or bathroom ceilings, but yes, it will come and when it does… it will probably be troublesome. There are few people in the world who relish in the discovery of mold (with the exception of those wearing lab coats) Fortunately many encounters with mold are and insignificant in the average life. However, mold in your home can be harmful to your family.  It needs to be addressed by mold remediation specialists such as the professionals at ServiceMaster Fire and Water Clean Up Services.

First and foremost, it’s important to recognize that some molds are indeed more dangerous than others, but perhaps not in the way that you think. There are thousands of varieties of mold that can manifest in your home, and though many homeowners fear the dreaded “black mold” (Stachybotrys chartarum), this type of mold is uncommon outside of severe circumstances and isn’t inherently deadly. In fact, most molds aren’t deadly.  For most homeowners’ reasonable caution is a good practice when dealing with mold in the home, just because it won’t kill you does not mean it is harmless.

The most common reason mold ends up being hazardous is prolonged or extensive exposure. Exposed or prolonged exposure is particularly dangerous if the residents in question have pre-existing conditions such as allergies or respiratory issues. The spores released by mold can agitate the throat, the lungs and exacerbate allergy symptoms such as itchy eyes, sneezing, and trouble breathing. This can be especially problematic for children or elderly people, for whom these symptoms can have a more devastating impact. Quick mold remediation is essential to prevent any lasting damage, so if symptoms appear, it’s time to make a call.

It is important to turn to a professional mold remediation company when pertaining to the stability of your home.  Mold can be an early sign of lasting damage to the materials that make up your house, because where there’s mold, there’s moisture. If your home has insulation issues, leaks, or tends to be humid, the long-term safety of your living space could be compromised. In these cases, use the mold as a guide to where your home might be in trouble. This is also true if you’ve suffered from any sort of flooding or water disaster.  (Mold begins to grow in a 72 hour period.)  If the mold is thriving, your walls may be floundering.

And lastly, there’s the often-overlooked danger of improper mold removal. Removing house mold can require harsh chemicals and physical renovations. Without the proper professional know-how, you could be doing more harm than good in several ways. Working with unfamiliar chemicals in hard-to-reach places is dangerous enough, but when some of the popular removal methods include the use of bleach and ammonia-based products, that’s where things get deadly. If bleach and ammonia come into contact with each other, they produce a fume called “chloramine vapor,” which is toxic when inhaled. In fact, mixing bleach with a variety of common cleaning solutions can lead to lung problems and severe physical reactions. For this reason, extensive mold remediation is best left to the professionals.

Just because most house molds aren’t deadly doesn’t mean you should take them lightly. If you’re experiencing any side effects or have identified mold in your Lancaster, PA home, contact ServiceMaster Fire & Water Clean Up Services at 800.570.4206 or visit their website to inquire about the mold remediation options they offer today.

Tags: Mold Removal · ServiceMaster Fire & Water Cleanup ·


 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *